- 2 valencia oranges
- 200g dark chocolate, chopped
- 100g butter, chopped
- 8 eggs
- 1 1/3 cups (300g) caster sugar
- 3 cups (300g) ground almonds
- Double cream, to serve
- Icing sugar, to serve
- Step 1 Place both the whole entire orange in a saucepan. Cover with water and a lid. Bring to the boil. Reduce to a low heat. Cook for 30 minutes. Remove the oranges and set aside to cool. Roughly chop and place in a food processor. Process until a coarse paste forms.
- Step 2 Melt the chocolate and butter in a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water, stirring often until smooth. Set aside to cool. (Alternatively melt in a microwave-proof bowl in the microwave on Medium/50% power, stirring every 30 seconds, for 2 minutes.)
- Step 3 Preheat oven to 180°C. Line a 22cm cake pan with non-stick baking paper. Use an electric beater to beat the eggs and sugar in a large bowl until well combined.
- Step 4 Fold in the ground almond, orange paste and chocolate mixture until well combined. Pour into the cake pan. Bake for 1 hour 20-25 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes out clean. Allow to cool in the pan. Dust with icing sugar and serve with cream.